Monday, April 14, 2008

How do you learn to read?

I don't remember ever NOT being able to read. I have no clue how to help someone who doesn't know how to read learn this all-important skill. At Friendship Place tonight, I was trying to help a non-native English speaker girl with some reading words. I laughed a lot, at her attempts at words and my own inadequacy in helping her. Here's how much of the night went.

(The word is 'always')

Me: Ok, try this one.
Girl: Wise
Me: No, try again.
Girl: Laws
Me: Look closer.
Girl: Wise
Me: Nope.
Girl: Apple
Me: Look at the word, you're not even looking at the word!
Girl: Wise
Me: Nope, you tried that.
Girl: All
Me: Ooo! Close! Keep trying!
Girl: Wise
Me: Always. It is 'always.' (giggles) Good try though.

How do you teach someone to read??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You start with the basics. Teaching what sounds "a" makes...all the way through the alphabet. Then you start adding sounds together. "bug" "hug" "mug" using the -ug ending. This helps with the phonemic awareness. This is a very teachery type response! lol. Call me if you need help.
-Jenel

Anonymous said...

Cute story :)

Justin said...

Hooked-on-phonics worked for me!

Jennifer said...

I can totally relate...
"Sound it out!"
"You have to look at the word to sound it out."
"Oh, this one's a little tricky..."
thanks to the millions of ways to write any one sound in the English language!