Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Thoughts on Nursing

I really like my job. (Gasp!) Yes, I did just say that. I really like it. All 12.5 hours at a time of it. I do a lot of gross stuff. Yep, I clean up poop, bathe immobile people, catch vomit, and measure urine. I also pack wounds, clean mouths, and get sputum samples (that's one of the worst.) I deal with blood, sweat, smells, drunks, druggies, explosive diarrhea, and bowel impaction. Yep, I'm a nurse.

But, wow, there is so much more to it that all that stuff. I also hold people's hands while they cry out in pain. I also talk with family members making tough decisions for loved ones. I make people comfortable when they don't have much time left. I help families deal with a possible cancer diagnosis. I explain this chaos we call healthcare to everyday people. I bother doctors to get what my patients really need. I celebrate with patients who make progress. I offer people help with addictions. I help people get back on their own. I keep mistakes from being made. Etc, etc, etc. (This examples all actually occurred in the last 2 days I worked.)

But sometimes I feel like I shortchange people. I'd do so much more if there was time. So much is required of me, there is little left to go beyond the list of tasks I'm expected to complete within my shift. They're here, then they're gone. Sometimes real interaction takes place, sometimes it doesn't. I know as I grow in my practice I will become more efficient at the "task" items, and will have more time for the "real" items. But right now I want to do so much more more.

3 comments:

teaguemeyer said...

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING that you just posted. I'm tired of shortchanging people. Here's to becoming efficient nurses who have time for "real" moments with patients!

Daniel said...

Hey Sarah, Thanks for stopping and saying hi! Its always nice to see the bright post you bring... and the advice:) Thanks for the perspective on a mission trip! At this point, I think that God is leading my in that direction for an uknow amount of time after graduation. Be in prayer for the details if you would.

It's fun to see yours and Amy's post concerning adjusting to the nursing world! You both seem to be adapting and focusing on the important and rewarding aspects of Pt care. Keep it up!

Daniel

mary a. pfeifer said...

Wow! I totally get what you mean. I am currently going through nursing school. There are so many things to DO that need to be done and that help the patient. There are also the things you explained like holding someones hand and being for them that really can impact someone's life. Thanks for sharing! Very cool and inspiring.

(ps. I found this post by typing in "thoughts on nursing" into google.)